Please speak with me about anything you are unsure about and we can discuss whether it will be suitable for you or whether you need to get advice from a medical professional first.
Who should avoid this therapy?
There are a few conditions when treatment is totally contra-indicated and should not be performed at all.
- When you are feeling extremely weak and are possibly clinically exhausted;
- If you have taken alcohol or drugs within the last 12 hours;
- Flu or a fever (with a temperature);
- Infectious or contagious diseases or skin conditions.
Medical approval should be sought if you suffer from any of the following conditions, speak with your doctor prior to treatment:
- History of Deep Vein Thrombosis;
- Heart conditions (including high or low blood pressure);
- HIV or AIDs
There are some things that are local contra-indications but massage can be performed over the rest of the body:
- The abdomen during the first 3 months of pregnancy;
- Contagious skin disorders (eg athletes foot, psoriasis, veruccae, exzema, dermatitis);
- Varicose veins;
- Minor or major surgery (within the last 18 months);
- Recent fractures, sprains or strains;
- Hernia, allergies, sunburn, scar tissue, oedema, abrasions, pain, bruising or inflammation.